A Few Words About Potrero Kids
Potrero Kids is a year round, Spanish-focused, dual-campus preschool in Potrero Hill and the Dogpatch. Our passionate team at PK nurture children’s curiosity with a project-based curriculum where children lead the way. We promote a strong sense of community through field trips, spirit days, and more, coupled with a highly engaged parent community that organizes special events and fun get-togethers. Our full-day care, with family-style meals included, supports the needs of working families and gives children a loving place to grow and flourish.Apply Now
Being Spanish-first was a huge plus for us, giving our daughter an experience that would be hard to find elsewhere and one that we know will be rewarding and fun. That they had structure, within reason, but also a freedom for the kids natural playfulness to be expressed sold us immediately. And when Covid struck, PK went to extreme lengths to keep in touch with parents, and offer not only their guidance but their reasoning for the decisions made. In uncertain times, this was truly appreciated and openness like that is rare today.
We adore Potrero Kids, the teachers and the family community. Our daughter has thrived at PK for over a year, and the teachers are so amazingly committed to her development. They are really thoughtful about her and what she needs to grow and genuinely care about her wellbeing, happiness and development. As a family who wants to build community and a life in Potrero Hill, it's really important to us that the school is so embedded and attracts families committed to the eastern neighborhoods and their local communities. We are forming bonds with other local families that we hope will last a long time!
Our son was so proud recently when he learned how to write his name, he tells us that his friend Alexandra loves the color "morado" and each day at pickup when he runs to give us a hug and show the art he made, he is so energized. I know that with both parents working full time at home and managing the school-from-home for our older child, there is no way we could offer him anything like his experience at Potrero Kids. It has been a lifesaver.
All of the teachers and staff are amazing people you want to spend time with, yourself, and we love that it feels like a big extended family. It is a very special place that I know we will continue to visit after our two kids have graduated from the program.
PK believes that each child’s social, emotional, cognitive, expressive and physical development should be enhanced and fostered each day.
Children must be at least twenty-four months old (2 years) by September 1 of the upcoming school year and not yet enrolled in kindergarten. Priority for admission will be given to children whose siblings attend PK or Daniel Webster Elementary School, and to children of families who reside and/or work in the Eastern Neighborhoods of San Francisco. Families can join us for tours in the fall and early winter and submit their application by January 8. Based on availability, some families will be invited to join for playdates in January and February, and offer letters will be sent via email in early March.
- All children, family members, visitors, and teachers must wear masks on campus (other than when eating/drinking or for napping children)
- Our entire Potrero Kids staff is vaccinated against Covid-19.
- Social distancing at drop-off and pick-up means that you won't enter your child's classroom, rather, you'll remain just outside the door and make it as quick as possible to reduce close contact with teachers and other families.
- Teachers wear masks full-time around the children and each other, and we are limiting the use of common ares to avoid teachers from different classrooms mixing.
- Children and teachers are all checked for suspicious symptoms at the start of the school day (shortness of breath, fever, cough, loss of taste/smell, headache, etc) and sent home if they have any symptoms. If a teacher has any fear of exposure to covid or suspicious symptoms, we work with them to keep them at home until they’ve either been tested or waited out the risk. We communicate with everyone really clearly throughout the whole process so that families always have the option to keep their child home if they’re at all concerned, but we avoid shutting down classrooms whenever possible.
- Since reopening in June of 2020 we’ve had no cases of covid spread in our school and have never had to close down a classroom or school site! Our community working together to keep ourselves healthy and be on the lookout for symptoms has meant that we’ve been 100% coronavirus-school-spreading free.
- See our health + safety plan here.